Tuesday 3 February 2009

Museums, Museums, Museums...








One of my favorite things to do here in London is visit the many, many museums the city has to offer. Not only are they free to enter (FREE—to see all these masterpieces! FREE!), they are amazing and you could easily spend all day in one gallery. So far, I’ve been to the National Gallery, the National Portrait Gallery, the British Museum, the Victoria and Albert Museum, and the Tate Modern, and I haven’t even been to half of the others I want to visit (the Clink Museum, the War Museum, the London Museum, the British Tate). Each one of these places has blown my mind and I thought I would dedicate a blog to some of these places. Starting with the British Museum, which is so impressive. They have an extensive collection of art from around the world and I spent what little time I had exploring the Egyptian, Greek and Mexican galleries of this seven acre museum. Yes, seven acres of AMAZING stuff… My favorites from the Egyptian collection included mummies and many a sarcophagus. But the most exceptional of these treasures was, for me, the Rosetta Stone. That’s right homies, the actual Rosetta Stone, the one that revolutionized the way we understood and interpreted language and Egyptian scripts. I remember learning about this in sixth grade and I was just blown away in its presence. The Greek wing housed friezes from the Parthenon. This, too, was super impressive; the rooms that held these artifacts were so vast! The Mexican artifacts included Aztec and Miztec artifacts like codices and weaponry. Also, beautiful sculptures and artifacts made of jade, stone, and human teeth and bones. There were also several contemporary pieces that played with lights and ratios. A lot of these places don’t allow photographs, like the National Gallery, and it’s a shame because these places have some of the most famous pieces, including works by Monet (many water lilies and bridges), Manet, Van Gogh, and on and on and on. I took pictures of the exterior and Trafalgar Square, which is in front of the museum. If you ever come to London, start your museum crawl here. The V&A was my least favorite of the bunch but I did score some good pictures.

3 comments:

  1. I think you spell it mixtec, i could be mistaken though... The x makes the s sound... I wish your videos were longer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to go back to the British museum...

    ReplyDelete